One of the biggest social media trends of 2017 is the meteoric rise in the popularity of Live Video Broadcasting. With social media leaders, such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, all offering their own live video broadcasting options, what was once considered a fad is sure to be the next big thing in social media marketing for years to come:
- 81% of social media users watched more live video in 2016 than they did in 2015. (Source)
- By 2019, it is predicted that 80% of all online traffic will be video. (Source)
- 70% of marketers claim that video drives more conversions than any other type of content. (Source)
- Social Media video generates 1200% more shares than text and images combined. (Source)
With numbers like these, it’s easy to understand why organizations want to get involved with the live video trend on the ground floor. Below are basic highlights of the live broadcasting capabilities available through Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, followed by ideas on how to take advantage of the growing live video phenomenon to engage your audience, attract attention, and increase reach:
Facebook Live Video:
- Launched on iOS in December of 2015; on Android in March of 2016.
- Facebook boasts that users spend three times longer watching live video than embedded video. (Source)
- Video posts on Facebook receive a 135% greater reach than photo posts. (Source)
- Facebook Live can be launched on both the Facebook mobile app and on desktops.
Instagram Live Stories:
- Launched in November 2016 as part of Instagram’s “Stories” rollout. (Click here for details)
- Unlike Facebook and Twitter, Instagram’s live video is temporary. This means that once the broadcast is over, the video disappears – it is not recorded for later viewing.
- Instagram Live Stories can only be launched via the mobile application.
How can you use Live Video to take your promotion to the next level? Below are a few brief examples of how you can incorporate Live Video into your next promotion and reap the benefits of increased engagement, greater reach, and real-time feedback:
Live Entry Sweepstakes
A clothing retailer wants to show off its new seasonal line in a unique and engaging way, so they decide to detail the new products via Live Video. Worried that viewership may be low, the company decides to provide incentive for people to view the demonstration. To accomplish this, a sweepstakes is offered during the broadcast giving participants who submit a comment during the live video broadcast a chance to win. Winners are randomly selected among the entrants who post a comment.
Watch the Live Video to get the Entry Code
A supermarket brand would like to boost its number of Facebook likes, so the brand decides to run a series of short live video broadcasts featuring chefs promoting ready to cook meals. During these live videos, a code is mentioned along with a secret URL that participants must visit to enter a sweepstakes. Without watching the video, participants will not know how to enter the sweepstakes.
Live Broadcast of Prize Delivery
With live video on social media, you can bring the excitement of watching a winner’s reaction when being awarded their prize to your followers and fans. Capture all the emotion, and raise buzz for your next promotion by broadcasting the moment that the prize is delivered.
Ready to get started on your live video promotion? US Sweepstakes is here to help you formulate a plan, execute and fulfill your promotion, and most importantly, make sure it is completely legally compliant. Contact us today.